Thursday, September 5, 2013

Papas, Advice & Tears

Hey, y'all! I am back today for Blogtember day 3! Can I just say I am so thankful to Jenni for hosting this link-up, I am loving it! Today's prompt was to share some helpful advice we have received. I don't know if I am just having a brain fart or if I just really haven't ever received a lot of memorable, life-changing advice but it took me a minute to think of this one. Then I remembered a moment on my wedding day with my Papa. If you know me personally or have been reading for a while you will know that my Papa is like my father. My real Dad is quite frankly not a father at all. There are a lot of harsh words I could use to describe him, a lot of horrible stories I could tell to prove this to you but I am really working on letting go of all of that and not bashing him. And this post is not about him so we will just skip that. Point blank my Papa is the second most important man in my life (Hubs is first) and I love him more than life. He was such an amazing father to my Mom and he has been an incredible Grandfather/Father to my sister & I.
 
 *Random Fact: Paul also asked my Papa's permission before he proposed which was really important to me
 
There was no question when it came to my wedding that he would be the one walking me down the aisle. He of course aggravated me about having to dress up and said he had already done this (with my Mom) but that is just his personality, I knew he was looking forward to it. He is truly a man of few words and is not a very sentimental person either so I never expected any tears or speeches from him as my wedding approached. The first hint of emotion I saw was when I walked around the church where he was waiting on me to walk in and I grabbed his hand he took one look at me then turned away with tears in his eyes. (This was the first time he had seen me and the only time I have ever seen him cry was at my Moms funeral) He also carried around a yellow rose all day in memory of my Mom (her fav flower) and even sat it in the spot she would have sat in on the pew. I know it was just as hard for him as it was for me without her. He is amazing.
Ok I got seriously off topic.

When we left the reception I realized I had forgot my phone. So we drove back to the barn where everyone was cleaning up, it was raining so Paul told me to stay in the car and he would look for my stuff. My Papa walked up to the car, I rolled down the window and he said something that made me cry for the first time that entire day (I was a very chill bride). He said with tears in his eyes, "As long as he loves you, you love him and you both keep God at the center of your marriage I reckon y'all will be just fine. I love you babe" I will never forget these words and I will strive everyday to stay true to the advice my sweet Papa gave me.

Gosh, it took me forever to write this post because I couldn't stop crying! I am so blessed to have my grandparents in my life and I cherish every single day with them! What is some great advice you have gotten?



Come back tomorrow for Five On Friday & Blogtember Day 4!


4 comments:

  1. Ahh this post made me cry!! So happy you were able to have your papa at your wedding and in turn a big part of your mom as well. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, he definitely made it very special!

      Delete
  2. ok seriously im crying. This is beyond sweet. Your papa seems like an amazing man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to make everyone cry! lol but he truly is amazing! I am so blessed!

      Delete