Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?

I was 10 years old, in 5th grade. We walked into our classroom after P.E. and our teacher was staring at the TV crying. As soon as we got into the room the second plane hit and our teacher told us to sit down and watch because this was history in the making.
 
A few minutes later our principal came over the loud speaker telling the teachers they could leave the TVs on at their discretion but that we were all going to have a moment of prayer and silence. I remember wedging myself between the wall and a cabinet and praying the hardest I ever had. I went home and my Mom was packing all of my stepdad's uniforms preparing for his imminent deployment. I remember getting so mad at my sister for wanting to play outside during such a scary time. And for months after that I cringed every time I heard a plane fly overhead.
 
To all of the families who lost loved ones that day and to those who have lost loved ones in the resulting war, you're in my prayers! May God give you strength to get through this day and all the rest. Because I know for a fact it does not get easier in time.
 
 
 
God Bless America
So where were you on this day 12 years ago? Leave a comment with your story, I would love to hear!

5 comments:

  1. I remember, I was in grade 6 history class. The teacher came in very sombre, and told our class. We too, sat and watched history in the making on TV. I live in Canada, but still a huge, dramatic impact on us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I have never heard anyone from Canada's POV from that day. I didn't even realize consider that it would affect people outside of the U.S. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. :( I was in eighth grade! Thankful for your stepfather, along with all the other men & women in service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in my eighth grade English class, and I remember a teacher running into the classroom, and turning our TV. We saw footage of the first tower being hit, and then another teacher came in and told us to turn it off, and we weren't allowed to talk about it. The school decided to ban the teachers from playing the TVs or listening to the radio, but when I got to my 4th period history class, my teacher said that it was history in the making, and pulled up news footage online. It was such a sad, life changing day for our country that I hope people to continue to remember for years to come. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! It is so crazy to think that our generation has something like this as a part of our lives, that we will always be able to say "I remember where I was when that plane hit"..

      Delete