Thursday, May 8, 2014

You Don't Mess With A Pregnant Lady...

Happy Thursday everybody! I have a mini rant for you this morning because what better what to start your day than complaining, am I right?{Just kidding about that last part}

Anyway, this morning on my way to work I was listening to the radio and they were having a debate where people could call in and give their opinions. The topic of this debate was Mothers Day, it was the intern vs. the main host and the intern was very adamant that pregnant women are technically not yet Mothers and should not be celebrated on Mothers Day. **Insert screeching brake sound and picture me looking at the radio like this girl had just literally slapped me in the face** I honestly thought about calling in (which I never do) to tell her exactly how I felt but there was plenty of other pregnant women and veteran mommas who beat me to it. It irritated me so much although I do understand that she has never been pregnant so she has no idea what it feels like. What irritated me had nothing to do with the fact that she was saying you don't deserve a present for being pregnant, it was that she was saying you are not considered a mother while you are pregnant. In my opinion, the moment this little girl began growing inside of me, I became a mother. The moment I found out about her is when I {consciously} took on the role of her mother. It is my #1 priority and responsibility to make sure that she is taken care of and loved to the best of my ability. I know that when she actually gets here that role will take on so much more meaning and I will learn what it is truly about. But in the meantime, don't tell me that I have just been a host carrying this child, I am a mother, I am her mother.


That brings me to my next point. What on Earth makes people think it is okay to say whatever pops in their head to a pregnant woman? I cannot tell you how many times in the last couple weeks I have had several variations of this conversation. "When are you due?" *June 15th* (and these are the responses) "Oh my gosh honey you look miserable..", "Do you think you will make it until then, I don't see how!", "Well you look like you could pop any minute!", "Are you sure you are not having twins?". There are many more but those are the most common. First off every one knows it is not okay to make comments like that about a woman's appearance but especially a very hormonal pregnant woman! And the thing is I feel great! Yes I am exhausted and I am sure that shows but other than that I feel fine. And according to most people I am not even THAT big. So my advice next time you see a large pregnant woman, just tell her that pregnancy looks wonderful on her. Even if she is a hot mess.

Well that is my soap box for the day. Happy Thursday y'all!

10 comments:

  1. People kiiiiiiiill me!! They DON'T think! at all! I dread the remarks I will get when I am pregnant & big! Especially from older people! They have no filter, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You listen to the Bert Show! They were talking about it again this morning and I was literally yelling at the radio. I'm not pregnant, but I have very strong feelings that motherhood begins way before the baby comes out! I don't care if your pregnant with your first or you have 10 children you should absolute be celebrated on Mother's Day!! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! It was so annoying and it sure seemed like she was completely on her own with that point of view. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I just can not figure out how she can justify that way of thinking. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Preach mama!! I couldn't agree more that once that life is stirring inside of you, you are a mom. You're the one making sure he/she is protected until their birthday party arrival after all! Surprisingly no one has said a rude comment to me yet and no strangers have touched my belly. I am waiting though I have a feeling in month 7 I'll be singing a different tune!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! No one really said anything to me until later in the 7th month but it has been countless since then. I still haven't had a stranger touch me though, not looking forward to that.

      Delete
  4. The nerve of that intern! I agree with you.... and people just don't think about what they say, ignorant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree 100% with you. I knew I was a mama the minute I peed on that stick. Something inside you changes, and like you said, suddenly, that little person growing inside of you becomes your #1 priority.

    Happy Mother's Day to you!!!! xxoo

    Alycia @ crazily normal mitchalycia.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete