Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The First Year {From One Year To Beyond Link Up}

Ok, so I know the "first anniversary" post is supposed to be on/around your anniversary but I wasn't blogging on my one year anniversary and I found an awesome link-up from Emily at Newlywed Moments all about the first year of marriage! So this post is coming to you one year, one month and 6 days after our big day.
 
So I thought I would talk about 5 things I have learned in my first year of marriage!
 
1. It is not near as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Granted, I have only been doing this a year but they say that the first year is the hardest and I completely disagree. Paul & I have always had great communication, trust and understanding; without those three qualities I don't think our first year would have been quite so easy! We also strive to keep Christ at the center of our marriage, without our faith and prayer there is no way we would be looking back at this first year with the same opinion.
 
2.Holidays are horrible stressful! I come from a huge family that is broken up by divorces so I was used to being pulled several different ways on holidays but add in Paul's family who is also split up seven ways to Sunday and it is just pure chaos!!!!  It is nearly impossible to get a schedule sorted out to see everyone but we are very blessed to have such big families to spend our holidays with. It has been nearly impossible for me to accept that I cannot be everywhere or please everyone.
 
3.It is fun! I saw something on Pinterest that said "Marriage is getting to have a sleepover with your best friend every night of the week." And that is so true! Paul & I are so weird together, we definitely have our fair share of disagreements but we spend most of our time laughing til we cry!
 
4.Alone time is a must. Just because you are married doesn't mean you have to drop everyone in your life other than your husband. Each of you have to have things that you do for you. Have girls nights, play golf with the guys, go away with your siblings for a weekend. If you don't do things for yourself you will end up losing sight of who you are and resenting the other person. Paul & I try our best to fully support and respect each other in every aspect of our lives and I am so thankful neither one of us is a psycho control freak that would be exhausting!
 
5. Your marriage will not be like the Cleavers! I had some ridiculous idea that when we got married I would magically be able to cook a 5 course meal in high heels, perfect hair and no mess in the kitchen. That my husband would clean up his facial hair off the sink after shaving and take out the trash without being asked and that we would come home from our honeymoon to our dream house. Not too much to ask right? Yeah that does not happen, you have to go with the flow!
 
There have been laughs, tears, good times and bad but this has by far been the best year of my life and I cannot wait to spend 100 more anniversaries with my sweet husband!
http://www.newlywedmoments.com/

5 comments:

  1. Everything you said it SO true! I'm was like you in #5 too, ha! Then reality hit! Absolutely gorgeous wedding, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I pretty much just wrote the same comment on your blog before I even read this haha

      Delete
  2. Such a gorgeous wedding! Thanks for linking up with us! Next week you can share your past anniversaries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words! Totally agree with one and three for sure, hands down! And your wedding pictures look lovely!

    Glad you joined in with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #2! So true, holidays are stressful! And #5, marriage is wonderful, but not as depicted on TV. Having a faith based marriage makes everything more fun and focused! :)

    ReplyDelete