Thursday, March 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday Link-Up

Good morning y'all! So I completely didn't realize it was Thursday (waddup baby brain) and forgot to do my tbt post. So here is the link up for all of you prepared ladies and I will be back shortly with my TBT post!


athousandwords






Everyone has something that represents their childhood. Whether it be a blanket, a toy, a house or in my case, a car. Growing up I was surrounded by old cars. Most days you could find my Papa covered in grease, out in his shop, working on his or someone else's car. A lot of those days you could also find a curly headed little girl, with grease on her bare feet, rolling around the shop on a creeper watching every  move her Papa made. 


My favorite car to watch him work on was his own, a banana yellow, 72 Rally Nova. Now this may not be the end all be all of classic cars but to me, it always has been because it was his. And the pride he took in what he built made me think there was nothing more special on this Earth. I was the luckiest girl in the world when I got to hop in the beautiful yellow car and ride around with my Papa! Whether we were just riding around town or going to a cruise-in, I was on top of the world.

You would think that once I got up into my teenage years the allure of the old car would have faded, not for me. I was 16 years old and asked Papa if we could go for a ride. Of course he said yes, pulled it out of the shop and threw me the keys. I swore he was kidding, no one ever got to drive Papa's Nova, especially not a 16 year old girl! But sure enough, he let me drive. I had never been more terrified! Going around those mountain curves (with no power steering) in my holy grail of cars, I just knew I was going to have a heart attack. Then he looks at me and says, "Lay into it babe, see what she's made of!". In that moment I let out a deep breath and pushed my foot towards the floor. Flying down those old roads with the windows down and my favorite man smiling beside me, trusting me with his baby, is something I will cherish forever.
{I even got to ride in it on my wedding day!}


To this day, I still love when I see him roll up that shop door and holler for me to come on. We drive for hours with no destination, just being together. This car and the man that built it mean more to me than most things in this world! And I can not wait to share these memories with my little girl and hopefully she will get to create plenty of her own memories with "Tom Kat" and his "Kitten"!



You are next... Click here to enter
This list will close in 4 hrs, 4 min (3/6/2014 11:59 PM North America - Eastern Standard Time)




5 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this story! Such sweet memories you have of riding around with him.


    on another note, I find it slightly wild that my granddad, too, has an early 70's bright yellow Nova in his garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you as a toddler! So precious!

    ReplyDelete