Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Sweet Mamaw

A few Sundays ago we celebrated the life of one of my most favorite ladies! My sweet Mamaw turned 88 and our whole family decided to get together (like we used to every Sunday) to have lunch at her house.

Sunday lunches at my Mamaw's house are some of my most cherished childhood memories. All of my family squeezed into one tiny house, eating, laughing and always lots of talking! I remember being so excited to spend the day around all of my cousins. They would play football, play guitar and always have your sides cramping from laughing.

My Mamaw is an incredible woman. She was 7 when her Mama died so she practically raised her 2 younger brothers since her 6 older siblings were already grown. Then not only did she raise 3 kids of her own but she had a huge hand in raising all of us. My Papaw passed away the day before my first birthday so she has been on her own for 21 years. Every Sunday before church she would prepare a full meal for all of us so when everyone got there that afternoon it would be ready and we would leave stuffed! About 6 years ago she got sick (before that she was the healthiest person I knew) and ever since then she hasn't been quite as lively. She stopped going to church (or anywhere really), stopped gardening, stopped cooking on Sundays and didn't want to be around a crowd. To be honest I don't really blame her, after a lifetime of taking care of people she decided she was done with it. After my Mom died it got worse. She is not one to show emotion but I know that she had a really hard time losing a grandchild. Although the dinners stopped my grandparents, sister and I never stopped visiting. Everyone still came for holidays but it just wasn't the same. I would constantly drop hints about trying to start Sunday dinner again but she would just brush it off, until about a year ago when she mentioned missing having everyone there. I jumped on that like a flea on a dog! We decided to do it only once a month since everyone is so busy. It has been tough trying to keep it going and getting everyone to help out but it is worth it to get to see everyone.

There were a few people missing but last Sunday we decided to take some family pictures. It is amazing how much we have grown! My cousin Jenn told everyone to invest in some birth control because we are getting out of hand, lol. I made a make-shift family tree/diagram to kind of explain who goes with who. Not that any of you will really care about this but I just think it is neat to see it all mapped out. (Green are spouses/bf/gf's, blue are stepkids) It may be too small for y'all to see but you get the point, there's a lot of us.
Now get ready for picture overload!
 
 My Beautiful Mamaw
My Papaw's butterfly bush 
Football spectators
 There's always a game if the weather permits. As you can tell it's pretty intense haha.
John & Jamee, I cannot wait for baby Zane!!
 The onesie John came home from the hospital in!
 She is so dang beautiful!
I love this picture of my Papa.
Little Jager enjoying the amazing weather.
Carter man on a mission!
Mamaw and her 3 kids.
Mamaw and all of Aunt Regina's family.
 Mamaw and all of my Papa's family. Minus my Mom, aunt, cousin and two of my cousins babies who couldn't be there.
Mamaw and my Uncle Freddie's family minus his oldest daughter and her two kids.
Everyone (except Meg's bf Blake who took the picture and the ones who were mentioned above as missing) I had to set Blake up to take the picture and then run over to get in my spot not noticing it was right in the sun. Fail.
Our true colors lol.
 
Well that is my big crazy awesome family! We have our ups and downs but I am so blessed to call all these nuts mine!
 

4 comments:

  1. Your Mawmaw sounds like an amazing person! We used to always go to my grandma's house every Sunday when I was a child too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you she is incredible! Wasn't it the best? It is still my favorite place to go!

      Delete
  2. This is so sweet! You will cherish these memories and pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww gosh I miss my Granny SO SO SOOOO much!!! Always the best times!

    ReplyDelete